This policy explains how ITV Studios Australia Pty Limited (“ITV” or “we” or “us” or “our”) manages personal information and complies with its obligations under the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (including the Australian Privacy Principles set out in that Act) (the “Privacy Act”). We want you to know that we are committed to protecting your privacy and handling your personal information in an open and transparent way.
This policy applies to all personal information we collect, use, disclose, store and handle, including personal information collected through our online properties (a “Website”), which includes (without limitation): www.itvstudios.com.au; any related ITV website (including casting websites), social media page, internal website, intranet and any ITV mobile or tablet applications; any website (including casting websites), social media page, internal website, intranet, and any mobile or tablet applications relating to any ITV production (“Production”) existing at any time as stated on www.itvstudios.com.au or elsewhere; and any other way an individual provides personal information to ITV, which may be physically or electronically.
Please note this policy does not cover companies, services or applications that we do not own or control, or people that we do not employ or manage, including (without limitation) third party websites or applications/widgets (eg: from social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter), which we link to or offer via our Website(s), nor does it cover advertisers. Also, it does not cover certain pages and services provided via our Website(s) which are hosted, managed and operated by other parties. These services, applications and third parties may have their own privacy policies and/or terms and conditions of use, which we recommend you read before using these services.
What kind of Personal Information does ITV collect?
The kinds of personal information we collect will depend on the purposes for which we’re collecting it, but may include the following:
• your contact details, such as your full name, date of birth, telephone number, mobile telephone number, email address, residential address and postcode;
• your gender;
• your occupation and information regarding your professional history and professional interests;
• information regarding your education and qualifications;
• information regarding your personal interests;
• information regarding your physical characteristics;
• information regarding your financial situation;
• television program proposals that you wish to submit for our evaluation;
• your online behaviour and interests based on your online browsing activity (including social interactions);
• information about your experience with our products or services or third-party products or services listed on a Website. This information is requested in order to tailor our subsequent communications to you and continuously improve our products and services;
• the contact details of third parties. If you are asked to provide details about other people, please ensure that these individuals are happy for their details to be given to ITV and used for the purposes set out in this policy (which may include using their details for marketing purposes); and
• any other relevant personal information requested in connection with a Production or as part of any application to participate in any of our Productions.
You can always refuse to give ITV any of the personal information we request, but that may mean we can’t provide you with some or all of the goods or services you require and/or you cannot be considered for any of our Productions.
We may also collect sensitive information (which may also be personal information) from you with your consent, which we will collect directly from you where possible or reasonable. Where you provide us with any sensitive information (including without limitation information about your sexual orientation, religious beliefs, medical and/or criminal history) in connection with what is requested by a Website, we will only use this information for the purposes stated on the Website which are reasonably necessary and directly related to our activities and may share this information with our trusted third parties in the manner stated on the Website.
Personal information will not be collected by any person who is known by us to be under the age of fifteen (15) years without the consent of a parent or legal guardian. Persons under the age of fifteen (15) may only use our Websites with the involvement and consent of a parent or legal guardian.
When and how do we collect your personal information?
We (or our authorised third parties) may collect information about you:
• when you apply to participate in one of our Productions;
• when you register for a Website, including (without limitation) when buying or subscribing for content from us or when you otherwise update your details;
• when you contact us with an enquiry or other feedback;
• when you participate in interactivity, for example, when you submit an entry to a competition or prize draw, or you vote in one of our polls;
• when you request to be sent communications such as updates or newsletters;
• in monitoring your use of the Website including (without limitation) communications sent by you via the Website;
• as required to comply with legal or regulatory obligations or requests;
• through the use of "cookies" and/or other devices. See the section entitled "cookies and similar devices" below;
• when you disclose your personal information to us or otherwise through the Website(s) at any other point;
• from third party suppliers who have confirmed to us that they are authorised to pass your information to us in accordance with your legal rights; and/or
• when you apply to work with us, so we can review and assess your application.
How does ITV use your personal information?
Your information may be used by us and our authorised third parties for the following primary purposes:
• monitor, develop and improve the Website(s) and/or your experience;
• assist in and administer the provision of Website(s) to you;
• contact you with service messages;
• to maintain our relationship with you;
• to fulfil obligations in any contract between you and us;
• to consider any program proposal you wish to submit for our evaluation;
• to choose contestants and participants for our Productions;
• to send you technical, administrative or legal notices important to our Website(s);
• process and deal with any complaints or enquiries made by or about you;
• to provide you with newsletters via mail and electronic newsletters via commercial electronic messages;
• send you or provide you with product and service recommendations;
• to obtain opinions or comments about Productions or other products and/or services and to conduct other research and development;
• to record statistical data for marketing analysis and to conduct market research;
• process payments from you to us (where applicable) on our behalf;
• administer a prize if you are a prize winner, and to publish or otherwise make available a list of prize winners;
• to comply with legal or regulatory obligations or requests, or where there is a legal or professional right or obligation to disclose; and/or
You agree that if you apply to participate in one of our Productions, and are not selected for the Production, we may retain your personal information as part of a record of individuals who have applied to be cast for the Program and use it to contact you to enquire whether you wish to apply as cast on a future season of the Program or another program. We will also hold your personal information to inform you about news and information concerning us (including upcoming special events and activities, such as your interest in being an audience member for one of our programs). You may contact us (as above) and withdraw your consent to this.
Sharing of personal information with ITV group companies in other countries
As ITV is part of the worldwide ITV group of companies, we may from time to time transfer personal information to an ITV group company located in another country. We will only do this where it is necessary or appropriate to achieve the purposes set out in this policy (for example, because that ITV company is responsible for providing systems or services to other ITV group companies), or it is otherwise made known to you at the time the personal information is collected.
Where ITV transfers personal information to an ITV group company located in another country, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that the information is only used for the purposes permitted under this policy and is given the same protection it is given here in Australia. We will at all times remain responsible for their handling of that information.
The ITV group of companies operates in Sydney, London, LA, New York, Denver, Paris, Stockholm, Cologne, Berlin, Copenhagen, Oslo, Helsinki, and Hong Kong.
Third Party Service Provider
ITV engages a range of third parties to provide services and perform business support functions for us. Some of those third parties need to access your personal information in order to provide the services or perform the functions ITV requires. When we share your personal information with third-party service providers, we will remain responsible for their handling of that information. This includes taking reasonable steps to ensure those recipients protect that information from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and from misuse, interference and loss.
Some of the third-party service providers we use are located outside Australia, so we may need to transfer personal information to the countries in which they are based.
We may share non-personal, de-identified and aggregated information with third parties for several purposes, including data analytics, research and promotional purposes.
Storage and security of personal information
ITV endeavours to take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information, including from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and to keep this personal information accurate, up to date, complete and relevant. Where reasonably possible we use industry-standard technology to allow for the encryption of sensitive information.
When ITV no longer needs your personal information for any purpose stated on a Website, provided ITV is not required by an Australian court or tribunal or under Australian law to hold onto your personal information, ITV will take all reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify your personal information.
Please always think carefully before disclosing information to other users or otherwise making your information publicly available. It is important that you are aware that any information you disclose to another user may then be disclosed by that user. We have no responsibility or control over the contents of communications made between users of our Websites.
Cookies and similar devices
What are cookies?
Cookies are small files of letters and numbers. These files are either stored in the memory of your computer or other device such as mobile phones or tablet devices or placed on the hard drive of your device.
In addition to cookies, as you navigate our Websites certain information can be passively collected (that is, gathered without you actively providing the information) using various technologies, such as Unique Device Identifiers (“UDI”), Internet tags or web beacons, and navigational data collection (log files, server logs, clickstream) or other similar devices. In certain circumstances, this information may be considered anonymous information or personal information under the Privacy Act. This is dependent on the device used and the method by which an individual connects to the Internet. Your Internet browser automatically transmits to the Website you are browsing some of this anonymous information or personal information, such as the URL of the website you just came from, the Internet Protocol (IP) address, the UDI (if applicable) and the browser version your device is currently using. Our Websites may also collect anonymous information or personal information from your device Internet tags or web beacons.
To try and bring you offers that are of interest to you, ITV has relationships with other companies which allow them to place advertisements on our Website(s). If you visit a Website, advertisement server companies may collect information such as your domain type, your IP address and clickstream data.
Our Websites may use and combine passively collected anonymous information or personal information from various third-party sources to provide better service to Website visitors and users, customise a Website based on your preferences, compile and analyse statistics and trends, and otherwise administer and improve a Website for your use. We may combine your visitor session information or other information collected through tracking technologies with personally identifiable information from time to time in order to understand and measure your online experiences and to determine what products, promotions and services are likely to be of interest to you. By accessing a Website, you consent to information about you being collected, compiled and used in this way.
Links to other websites
Links to third-party websites or third party advertising are not recommendations or endorsements by us. ITV is not responsible for the content (including representations) of any third party advertisement on a Website. Cookies may be associated with these advertisements to enable the advertiser to track the number of anonymous users responding to the advertising campaign. We do not have access to or control of cookies placed by third parties.
Changes to our business
If we decide to change or re-organise the structure of our business, we may need to pass your personal information to one of our group companies so that we can continue to effectively deliver Website(s) and other services to you.
Access and Contact
You can access the personal information we hold about you and correct personal information that is inaccurate or, to the extent practical, request its deletion (although deletion may be impractical in certain circumstances and/or remove your eligibility to be part of a Production (as applicable)). With some personal information, for example where it is held on program tapes, it is not practical to provide this information to you without charging an appropriate fee, determined by us, and it is not possible to remove information on program tapes and other media once you have participated in the Production, including after it is filmed and recorded (if you have participated in the program). You must supply us with sufficient information to allow us to properly identify you and the information sought by you.
You can email us with any questions about ITV’s handling of personal information, or if you wish to make an access or correction request or complaint, at:
The Privacy Officer
ITV Studios Australia Pty Limited
Level 5, Building 61
Fox Studios Australia
38 Driver Avenue
Moore Park, NSW, 2021
Telephone: +61 2 9383 4360
Please allow 30 days for this request to be processed.
What if you are not satisfied with how we have handled your complaint?
If you believe that ITV has not handled your privacy complaint, you may contact the Officer of the Australian Information Commissioner, whose contact details are as follows:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
+61 1300 363 992
Last updated 5th July 2019